Friday 17 November 2023

Arctic Greenland - Disko Bay

 Our third stop in Greenland is in Disko Bayon Disko Island, a huge island off the west coast of Greenland.  This landing is very similar to the one at Tasiusaq and the hike is almost a repeat over similar tundra terrain with a bit of clambering over the rocks.  We hiked around the lake and saw some interesting plant life.  The rocks are not hard to climb up but getting down required a bit more manoeuvering to find a safe path.  It was not easy to determine whether you are stepping into a hole because of the thick foliage. I was grateful I had my walking stick with me!

The lake around which we hiked


 There are these fern like plants in the lake - I think they may be Mare's tails.


Mare's tails



This is the type of terrain we were walking on.  You never know when you will step into a hole!   But look how beautiful the flowers were.  You can tell we are in "warmer" climes.












I had the option of climbing that rocky outcrop and continue around the lake or go back the same way over level tundra.  My sense of adventure got the better of me and I climbed up the rocks.  It was getting down that was the challenge.  I was relieved to bump into my travel companion also in the same situation.  Two heads were definitely better than one!


We made it up these rocks




The tundra like a carpet in front of us



Looking back at the other side to see how far we had come


It was a relief to see the landing spot!  As usual, we were the last ones.

Next post:  Ilulissat!

2 comments:

  1. Bravo for making this hike safely. The plants are beautiful. Again, thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete